Film Review: Sarkar Raj

I am an avid reader of Mario Puzo's novels. Having seen Sarkar, I was actually dying to see Sarkar Raj. I should say I am not disappointed. RVG did it again. Honestly, after Aag, I thought he lost it. But this movie came as a complete surprise. I was skeptic if he would maintain the tempo created in Sarkar. But in the end, Sarkar Raj seemed to me a monumental movie. Don't be surprised, I say, give credit when its due.

Let me show cause the strong points of the film. It had a superb plot, both the bachchans acted wonderfully, the light adjustments and camera work was excellent, and finally the back ground score (though copied) was chilling. Also, there was no cheap slapstick comedy involved. I felt as if the elder B after all that Ekalvya bullshit had some decent work to do. The elder Bachchan showed to the audience why he is such an intense actor. Ash refreshingly didn't have to wear bikinis and bitch around.

I chose not to narrate the movie. Instead, I will high light some of the best scenes. Most of the movie was shot in close range almost highlighting every facial muscle of the actors. This would not be possible with other actors. At one point Ash asks Abhi, what was the toughest decision in his life. With moist eyes, a steady gaze and a pained tone, he says "mere Bhai ko marna.(Pause) Bohot pyaar karte the mujhe, magar babuji par hamla...".
One would stop to wonder how intricately well designed the shots were. One blink of an eye lid and the seriousness will be gone. There are several such moments. The scene where the senior B talks to the portrait of his lost son was fantabulous. Till the senior B takes things into his hands, the audience wonder what the heck? Its just a normal fall out about a Power project. But once he starts narrating the "Shadyantra", the seriousness of the plot dawns on the audience. I personally wondered if I could be able to decipher such a plot running.

Till I saw this movie, I never understood that light and colour combinations could alter the moods. But in Sarkar Raj, yellow and black colours, light, shadow and reflections registered their presence as boldly as the characters themselves.

I am however dissatisfied with three things in the movie. Firstly, Aishwarya unfortunately was not effective. Cast along side both the B's, the female B(bee) seems to have no sting at all. There were times when the audience shrieked for more effort on her part to do justice to the role. Her expressions were bland, pedestrian and insipid. The second was casting Dilip Prabhavalkar in the most vicious role. I didn't feel the viciousness in his smile. I expected it to be more effective. Three, the guy who got killed in Sarkar was back to life and was running around in the bomb blast scene. Remember the lawyer guy in Sarkar, who took Abhishek around to meet potential friends? The guy who gives up his life for Abhishek? This guy pops up. In other movie sequels I woudn't have given it a second thought. But in Sarkar and that too him, No Sir, not required. RGV! Don't think all audience have weak memories.

All in all the movie was effective and a thorough entertainer. Thanks to RVG, there was never a boring moment in the film. I would give it a 4 on 5.

Comments