Crazy world

I am amazed with the fixation people have with numbers. I just read a news snippet in Yahoo! where they valued the value of happiness to be $40000. Think of it! People are trying to understand happiness in a number.

I feel much of this is due to the high ground arrogance that mathematicians carry in the field of science. The reason behind such arrogance - math is the only field where certainty is assured. But the general belief that every thing in the world can be numbered and measured is absurd and is proving irksome to me. How can you value emotions?

Lets say love is quantified in Cupids and imagine your kid talking like this:

"Mom, my love to you is 100 cupids and that to dad is 90 Cupids"

Wouldn't you get the "Yuck" feeling? Can you imagine the number of complexities that will spring up? There will be grading agencies that will come up with love grading equipment to quantify the love someone has to others. There will be testimonials from people endorsing a particular approach. Something like:

"Shobraj's method of grading is so perfect. It takes into consideration all the parameters involved in love. My boyfriend got a score of 100 while my ex got12. I now feel I have legitimate love!"

Marketers will start campaigns like "Does your boyfriend love you genuinely? Make him take the love detector test and check his authenticity now!" Or personality development speakers saying "Lower your love quotient. ( As if love can be controlled with a control valve). Don't take decisions based on Love for some one. Attend Condoleezza's Seminar today!"

Give me a break! When will people understand that matters attached to the heart can never be measured? Stay away people! Avoid number maniacs like plague. Squash anyone who pulls ridiculous numbers onto you like you squash cockroaches in your kitchen sink!

And finally, love some one with all your heart without bothering about the quantity and stay happy.

Comments