How we landed in IT- part II, Interview stage

The interview on the next day was delayed. Later in the day, for the first time in my life, I attended an IT interview. The interviewers, two of them "ushered" me into the room. With "firm" handshakes, they greeted me and I was made to "feel" comfortable. I was honestly awed by the finesses. The two guys were dressed casually and began with the all important "tell me about your self". Come my hobbies, they jumped at it. What books, what authors, what subjects? How many? There were a battery of questions and I felt like a dog being hunted. Believe me, those guys asked me about Sherlock Holmes address and whether Mr.Holmes did drugs. One particular question that evokes strong emotions in me was about romance. They wanted me to write a short poem on Romance. Even after five years in IT and numerous interviews, I cant figure out why they wanted romance. And that too in a poem.


I can understand academic questions, I can understand questions on Mr.Holmes, I can understand questions about organising events, but Why Romance? God bless! I had no answer. But I still had hope because I have "communication skills" and Chetana Madam said "One or two bad questions are thrown at you to see how you react". Anyway, before closing the door on me, they asked me if I had any questions, and as advised in Freshers world, to show them that I have some HW on their company , I asked them about SAP and entrepreneurship. They were happy to answer them and I thought I made it. On that unfateful day in the cafeteria of Satyam, in darkness with bated breath, and prayers to the almighty on my lips, I waited for the results. I didn't make it.

With dejection written all over my face and in heavy rain, I walked home. This was my first encounter with failure and I couldn't handle it head on. But as they say, time heals every thing. I am now more used to and open to failures and I say, I have enough of them on my plate already!

Comments