How we land in IT - PART I

Five years back, with dreams in my eyes, armed with a near first class degree in engineering and tons of hope, I started looking for a job.

Proud and arrogant, I searched for job hoping to do the now ever elusive MBA eventually with my hard earned money. Fortunately for me, the search way not so sore. But landing a job in Polaris was a pleasant experience which proved to the world that "He", Rajesh is a capable guy. I now wonder what I weighed more, whether the prestige of being a Software engineer of the arrogance that I can stand on my feet. I think its the former.

The search for the recruit-all-pay-well IT job started right in the final year when the now ill famed Satyam came for Campus recruitment. Hordes of people, precisely 6000 people from five engineering colleges, each one of them armed with the same stereotyped qualification, same acads, same extra circs like organising-events-at- college, reading-books, presented-papers-at-inter college-contests etc assembled in the grounds of one of the reputed colleges in Hyderabad.

For the first time, I saw the IT chaps from a close distance and their bonhomie, the way they behaved "Professionally", the way they handled questions as if we were some "Bacchas" made me crave for an IT job. Hoping to be one among them, I stood in the line for the initial scrutiny. After that, we were asked to take a assessment test. With no invigilators and friends all around you, its only fair we copy and copy we did, making sure that all our near and dear cleared the first round.

After waiting for nearly three hours, the results were out and as expected, we all got through. The second round was more farce than assessment. It was a group discussion and if you have seen a pack of dogs fighting for a biscuit, you haven't missed my GD. No one bothered about the topic, the guy who had to asses us was equally non chalant and each one in the group out barked the others. I just made sure that my voice was the most audible. For reasons unknown, I cleared the GD round.
The whole process because of "Unexpected delays" took a whole day and we were behind schedule for the day. At the end of the day, the more fortunate group was asked to attend the interview at the Mayfair campus at Begumpet. Most of my friends made sure they asked Chetna madam about the Satyam freshers interview questions and a few were already ready with the answers for questions posted in freshersworld.com

Comments